Thursday, March 3, 2011

Mile 0

"On the old highway maps of America, the main routes were red and the back roads blue. Now even the colors are changing. But in those brevities just before dawn and a little after dusk- times neither day nor night- the old roads return to the sky some of its color. Then, in truth, they carry a mysterious cast of blue, and it's the time when the pull of the blue highway is strongest, when the open road is beckoning, a strangeness, a place where man can lose himself."

Last night was my final in Detroit for some time. I'm off to venture the nation, to see new places and to encounter unknown spaces & spirits. I'm not leaving from a space of loss, or desperation, but in a spirit of joy and adventure. Ahh, so much to see!!

My final day in Detroit was ordinary, but poignant. I had the last authentic Coneys I'm likely to taste for the duration of my trip.


It's a rough delicacy, one birthed of a city slim on pretension. I felt honored to spend an honor at the venerable Lafayette, soaking in this tradition.

My bags are packed, a month as slim as I can fit into the trunk of my car. Choosing music for the road was equally arduous, a slight stack of cd's reflecting where I've been, I am, and where I'm headed.


Today, I'm hitting the road, full of pins and needles about the journey. Tonight I'll be in Chicago, probably the most familiar of this trip's foreign cities. Beyond will be the journey I've longed for, into territories I know well in my mind but have never seen with my eyes and ears. Seatbelt's on. Here we go, folks.


No comments:

Post a Comment